Forum about Homework help - Physics
- Optional filter -
Text search :

modify delete 19892 - from Arki , 13 y.o. (UK) - 2017-03-17
Physics : "S,p,d,f orbitals"

Hey,
I am 13 but really interested in chemistry and physics. Our chemistry classes are a bit slow for me so I tend to read ahead but when I came across the s,p,d and f orbitals I was a little puzzled. Right now we are learning about the periodic table and I was curious, when are the d orbitals filled? I read that in some cases the electron valence changes and was wondering under which circumstances the third shell can allow 18 electrons? I will be very grateful for any kind of help :)

19892 -
modify delete 19904 - Reply from Maria , 25 y.o. (Venezuela) - 2017-03-29

Now, when can a metallic atom host 18 electrons? When it forms "coordinated" bonds with "ligands". These bonds are a different type of bond. They aren't covalent or ionic. It's a way of sharing electrons through the "d" orbitals of the metals, that is, the metal "accept" the electrons of the ligand, forming "complexes". These complexes can have certain geometrical structures, that depend of the metal and the ligands nature. So, sometimes, they form complexes in with the metal has a total of 18 electros (counting it's s and p electrons).
Good luck!

19892 -
modify delete 19903 - Reply from Maria , 25 y.o. (Venezuela) - 2017-03-29

Hello :) I hope I'm able to help you. The periodic table has different sections: metals, metalois and no-metals. The metals (the one we're interested in) are separated in three groups, one of those groups is called transition metals. Those metals are the ones that can extend their shell to accept up to 18 electrons. Why it happens? If you're interested I can tell you about it in another post. So, now, how can the metals extand their shell? Well, it is because the transition metals have "d" orbitals in which the extra electrons can be located. See this:

A metallic atom has s orbitals (2 electrons), p orbitals (6 electrons), d orbitals (10 electrons), in total, there are the 18 electrons ^_^

Forum about Homework help - Physics - (c) Etudiants du Monde / Students of the World
if any remark / question, please contact the webmaster:

https://StudentsOfTheWorld.info